Re: How do I get started in Oracle, and will it be another RTFM moment

From: David Pomphrey - DNP <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: 2000/07/07

Its not a question of beginning to learn, its a case of learning all the time. You don't really start or stop at all.

'A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step' or so said
some wise Chinese philosopher or something; a wise Chinese philosopher who was probably all too keen to sit on a mountain top all day telling this to OTHER people. Hence the definition of 'wise'; did anyone hear from the people he convinced to go on thousand mile treks - of course not! - they probably ended up half way up a mountain in the snow, cursing him with their dying breath. But we all know who this philospher is... errm actually we don't but moving swifly on ...

The only trouble with this little RDBMS is that Oracle keep on making the 'journey' (to full enlightenment) longer all the time.....

Maybe that should be - a journey of two thousand miles beings with the first leap, .. but I spoke too soon, Oracle just released 8.n.m of the server (where n= 1 more than your version and m is a number between 1 and 8) so let me rephrase - a journey of three thousand miles begins with the first sprint ....

Look on the bright side - all that time your sitting indoors studying, you are shielded from all that nasty UV radiation that our dear Sun gives out. This is the best I could come up with and as a comment on this indoors way of life I think this qualifies as 'damning with faint praise'.

One day of course you die and then it all stops (phew)

David N. Pomphrey OCP |DBA| MCP |TCP/IP| B.Tech.

Glasgow, Scotland.

The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) : http://www.ietf.org/

'Standards Track' RFCs : ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/std/std1.txt