Re: analyse_database

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/07/03

[Quoted] In article <39605344.DDCCDDD2_at_adelaide.edu.au>,   Steve Salvemini <steve.salvemini_at_adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> Is the DBMS_UTILITY.analyze_database something that should be run
> regularly, ie on a weekly basis, or for new DB refreshes, and does it
> update SYS tables as well?
>
> (Following this, should all SYS tables have stats on them?)
>
> I guess the analyse_schema is only really for specific tasks, such as
> need only to update the stats for a particular schema.
>
> Thanks Folks

1 - I do not see a need for the analyze_schema command at all. As a [Quoted] DBA you can issue the analyze command directly and it is easy to use SQL to generate analyze commands per table/index as desired. If you grant someone execute on dbms_utility they can then mess up the optimizer because they do not have the knowledge to know what objects require computing vs estimating vs estimating with a large sample to prevent bad plans.

[Quoted] 2 - Sys owned objects should definately not be analyzed for ver 7.0 - 8.0. I imagine the same is true for 8.1 or 8i as it is called.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.