Re: Forms 6.0 : Problem inserting record

From: Elena Charifoullina <Elena.Charifoullina_at_cern.ch>
Date: 2000/07/03

Hi, Guillaume.

I have exactly the same problem - unreadable characters instead of the normal error text.

I can not convert one application (not mine) from Forms 5 to Forms 6. It works O'K under Forms 5 but it crashes under Forms 6 ("error FRM-40508 : Unable to insert record" or "Unable to update record", unreadable characters on the top of Error box and "ORA-01403 : No data found" on [Quoted] the bottom of Error box). The application is based on the table with more than 120 columns and data block in the form has more then 130 items ( I think that the problem appears due to the size of the table). I've got the next information from our Support team:

> the problem you saw in forms 6.0 is bug 892342, for the moment there is
> an unsupported patch for the rdbms libraries that are packed with
> Developer (8.0.5.2.2). It seems that they will deliver a patch for
> Developer (patch 6)
> the suggested workarounds are not acceptable since they imply a lot of
> extra coding.
> I saw though another workaround :
> Set the block property "Update Changed Columns" to TRUE
> Not tested though ...
> By the way, I was told the bug has been escalated, but I guess we will
> need to wait until a proper patch is delivered..
> ciao. Nilo.

It doesn't help me ("Update Changed Columns Only"), but you can try in your application.

Second message from the Support team:
> The status of this big is that it is fixed in Developer 6i (officially
> with the first patch set release), but according to support, it works also
> with the basic version.
> Dev 6i is the same 6.0 version but with more bug fixes.
> we are thinking of replacing the 6.0 by 6i (we have it for all platforms),
> but we have not decided yet.
> We will try to see if we can get the the proper system files with the bug
> fixed. The bug was not in the Forms binaries themselves, but in the RDBMS
> libraries that came with the Forms. But it is true that if we can not get
> them, we will have to upgrade.
> Best regards.
> Nilo.

I hope the above information will be interesting for you. Let me know, please, if you will get the solution of the problem in the current Forms 6 version.
Regards.

  Elena Charifoullina. MMS/LHC/CERN. Received on Mon Jul 03 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message