Re: How is date storeed in column?

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_fightspam.sd.znet.com>
Date: 2000/06/29

[Quoted] "Beginner" <NOSPAM_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OlJ65.167$Hs3.3966_at_news1.mts.net...
> Randy, thanks for your help...
> What I need to know though, is how can I retrieve the time value of a date
> entered into the database?
> ie: A user makes an entry, I want to track the time it was placed.
> Currently it's entering SYSDATE in that field, but when I do a select, it
> shows only DD-MON-YY. Does it store the time as well? IF so, how can I
> retrieve it, if not, how can I do so?
> Thanks!

[Quoted] to_char(<date value>,<format mask>)

example:

select to_char(sysdate,'MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS) from dual;

The format mask is pretty versatile - about anything you can dream up (within [Quoted] reason) can be put there.

Get a copy of "Oracle 8 The Complete Reference" - it's about the best "overall" [Quoted] guide to Oracle SQL and the Oracle database. Find it on amazon.com or bookpool.com (bookpool is usually a little cheaper).

-Matt Received on Thu Jun 29 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message