Re: How is date storeed in column?

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_fightspam.sd.znet.com>
Date: 2000/06/28

[Quoted] "Beginner" <NOSPAM_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vpt65.27$Hs3.1402_at_news1.mts.net...
> When a field is declared as a 'date' type, what format is it? Can it be
> stored as 'dd-mon-yy hh:mm:ss am'?
> I have a date field that says too many precision specifiers when I truncate
> it this way...Do I have to store this as a string?

Your date format is defined by the NLS_DATE parameter. Check that setting and [Quoted] modify as needed. However it affects all users of your database so be careful.

[Quoted] BTW, in regards to: 'dd-mon-yy hh:mm:ss am', I think you really want 'dd-mon-yy hh:mi:ss am'. (Use of 'mm' instead of 'mi' [Quoted] for minutes will cause the 2-digit month to appear there, NOT minutes - easy [Quoted] mistake - done it myself hundreds of times.)

-Matt Received on Wed Jun 28 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message