Re: Discoverer / Excel?????

From: Craig Ledbetter <craigl_at_gte.net>
Date: 2000/06/28

Discoverer has a "workbook" look, like Excel, but each page is like a mini multidimensional (ROLAP) cube, in that you can drag the axes around, click and choose dimensions for filters, click and drill up and down "hierarchies" of dimensions, and click and drill to related data in other "folders". The two tools are *nothing* alike. A page from Discoverer can be exported directly to an Excel worksheet, so once you have the data set exactly like you want it, export is easy (e.g., for graphing, as Discoverer's graphing capability is limited).

Discoverer has an Administrative version that is used to prepare an "End User Layer" which is actually a layer of specialized data structures which enable the End User Version to build reports using simple folders and items. All joins and most calculated fields, etc. can be done in the Administrative layer, so that the end user does not even have to know how to spell "SQL".

Discoverer's main competitors are OLAP and ROLAP tools, not spreadsheets. It is a very good tool for DSS apps, particularly for data warehouses.

There are some good *.pdf files on the OTN that describe Discoverer and its features.