Re: polling, triggers, java, Oracle, C++

From: <Keith_Kailly_at_creoscitex.com>
Date: 2000/06/24

I know this doesn't help but in Oralce 8i there is a new tool called Log Miner. You can actually look inside your archive log files. It's awsome. We had a problem with our database spewing out archive log files like crazy. The tool eventually pointed us to a stored procedure which had an update statement with a bad WHERE clause. Instead of updating 1 row it updated every row in the table.

An Oracle consultant told me that 90% of the time with this type of problem its something brain-dead going on in your application. But you already know that. ;)

In article <8ilg7j$n44$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   argosy22_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> HI all,
>
> This is a good interdisciplined question involving
> Oracle 734, C++, and Java on Unix.
>
> Our developers are creating a new process for the web.
> They are using polling methods on the datbase.
>
> There are java processes that poll the database.
> Sometimes, they use the API of another product, which
> also polls the database. There are also c++ processes
> running on NT clients, which poll the database.
>
> The idea is that customers will use the web interface,
> and insert a record into the database. The polling
> then checks for new records.
>
> The problem is that we are running the database in archive
> mode. So every select is not only logged, the logs are
> later archived when they fill up. On our dev server last
> week, we got 240 megs of archive files in less than 2
> hours! I killed the processes.
>
> What I'm wondering is:
> - how can we use an interrupt method instead of a polling method?
>
> My initial thoughts (coming from an Oracle background) is
> to use an Oracle trigger. On INSERT ....
>
> One question was, how to call an executable java file (or even a
> ProC program) on the Unix side from the PLSQL in the trigger?
> Is it possible in 734? I don't think that it is. How about with 8?
>
> The developer's initial reaction was that the triggers lock
> the table, and other processes then have to wait for the first
> process to finish, and it didn't work well enough. Does this
> make sense?
>
> Another idea was to use the UTL_FILE package to output something
> to file. If we have to use polling, the java process could then
> poll for the file, and then engage.
>
> What about other tools from Oracle?
>
> Just some initial thoughts. Does anyone have any experience, or
> better ideas that they could share?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Argosy
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Jun 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message