Advice/Feedback

From: Kelly Wilcox <tcwilck_at_tc.cc.va.us>
Date: 2000/06/23

Greetings,

[Quoted] I'm exploring the various possibilities to write web-enabled apps. So far I've read about WebDB, JDeveloper, and Forms Server. I'm just a programmer, [Quoted] not the DBA or the Server administrator. To be honest, the various tools are [Quoted] a bit overwhelming. Especially since the few apps I'd like to write are of an inquiry nature only.

I'm a fairly competent C/C++ programmer, and I'm beginning to think the easiest way to do this sort of stuff is to write a CGI in C and be done with [Quoted] it. I've used the OCI before to access Oracle via C - so that's not a problem. Going this route though, there are things I do not know that you may be able to point me in the right direction about:

  1. If I'm using a Win32 platform, how do I compile my app to run on our web [Quoted] server? In this case, the web server is Netscape Enterprise running on NetWare.
  2. How do I access the OCI via the app running on NetWare? This seems to imply that NetWare itself needs to be running the Oracle client software. Is [Quoted] this possible?

One other thing, I'm thinking the reason all the GUI tools exist is to let us not have to worry about these kinds of questions. If so, and if they are [Quoted] my best option, can anyone give me a short rundown of why I should/shouldn't [Quoted] use WebDB/JDeveloper/Developer Server for my tasks?

Thanks for your time,
Kelly Received on Fri Jun 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message