DATA SAMPLED ON TIME

From: maurizio <mrzgnv_at_tin.it>
Date: 2000/06/21

Hello,
my name is Maurizio and i have a problem.

I must to store in Oracle 8i DB on WNT a lot of data acquired by a Data Acquisition System (DAS) for a coil galvanization line plant.

I must to store all data acquired for one year.

The plant process 24 h/day about 4 coils per heure with maximum length of 8000 meters.

After the coil is processed the DAS send to me the data acquired (250 measured for each meter of coil coming form 250 different sensors).

In order to save that information into DB i created a table and i used a VARRAY dimensioned to 8000 elements:

create type SAMPLE DATA as varray(8000) of number(5)

create table COIL_OUT_DATA (

    COIL_ID                number(4) not null              [ 1 year of
coils]
    MEASURE_ID      number(4) not null               [1..250]
    DATA                    SAMPLE_DATA                [8000 elements]
    primary key (COILD_ID, MEASURE_ID)
);

In this way for each coil i have 250 very big records (for each coil about 250*(8002)*4 Byte = 8MB)

In one year i will have 365day*24heures*4coilperheure*8 MB = 280 GB of data.

My questions are:
1) Is the VARRAY a good solution for my application? 2) After one year DB will be too big?

Someone has other solution? Received on Wed Jun 21 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message