reports on SunOS 5.6 installation problem

From: Christoph Mack <C.Mack_at_austria.eu.net>
Date: 2000/06/16

Hello!

I want to install Oracle Reports on a SPARC Solaris 5.6 machine which has never seen any Oracle product before. This reports server should communicate with a Oracle 8.1.5 RDBS which is installed on a different machine.

I understand that the installer wants to create some Objects in the system table space. I do NOT want to let it create these objetcs but want to create these objects after the software installation in a different table space.

I downloaded
ftp://ftp.oracle.com/pub/www/otn/solaris/forms6i/6isolaris.tar and tried to execute

         /mnt/orainst/orainst /m
result: User Interface Failure: Window System Startup (the DISPLAY and TERM variables were set correctly) OK! running

         /mnt/orainst/orainst
worked!
-> Custom Install -> Install, Upgrade, or De-Install Software -> Install
New Product - Do Not Create DB Objects (ORATAB_FAIL = TRUE!)

When it comes to selecting the packages to install I select the

   Net8 8.0.6.0.0
and the

   Oracle Reports Server and Reports Developer 6.0.8.8.3 packages. The installer determines some dependencies and proceeds with the installation. Then it wants to install some patches for oracle products which I never installed before and it asks me whether I want to proceed installing these patches although the concerning software was never installed on this machine:

   According to the product registry, Platform specific Libraries and    Utilities has never been installed. Are you sure you want to    install patch release version 8.0.6.0.0?

   The same with:
   ORACLE Common Network Libraries and Utilities    ORACLE Core Libraries
   ORACLE Common Trace Libraries
   ORACLE PL/SQL Libraries
   ... and so on, and so on (approx. 35 patches overall)....

The documentation does not say that there have to be any oracle products to be installed prior to oracle reports. Why these patches?

No matter whether i select to install the patches or not the installation process is not successful :(

Can anybody please tell me what the exact prerequisites for a installation are? Does the Developer2000 or 6i have to be installed before? Should I install the patches? Any further suggestions?

thanks a lot in advance
  Christoph Mack Received on Fri Jun 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message