Allow Alphabetic Chars Only?

From: Amanda Zaborowski <azaborow_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 2000/06/14

I have a question that sould be an easy one, yet I cannot find it anywhere. Here is my situation:

  • What I would like to do is make some of the fields constrained to allow only alphabetic characters. (ie - first name - we do not want user to be able to enter 12345 rather than a name in the 'first name' field.)
    1. We are using ERwin datamodeling tool. I will then forward engineer this to auto create the DB in Oracle. In ERwin, you can specify that a number can only be valid in range of, for example, 1 to 50. I assume you can do this for varchars, allowing only alphabetic chars, no numbers, etc?
    2. We are using Developer 2000 Forms for front end. Is there some kind of formatting I can do so that user can only enter in alphabetic chars?
    3. Obviously, we have an Oracle DB - is there code I could use in creating the table that constrains the chars to alphabetic?

Can anyone help if this is possible in ERwin, Oracle itself, or Developer Forms?

Thanks in advance! Received on Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message