Re: running sql loader

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_fightspam.sd.znet.com>
Date: 2000/06/14

"minhb" <minhb_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:39485302.7504ABCF_at_hotmail.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie w/ oracle. my main goal is to use sql loader to bring a
> flat file into preexisting oracle 8.0 tables. My .ctl and .aud file is
> ready. Someone please point me in a direction to start sql loader. Any
> suggestions for documentation will also be helpful.
>
> thanks,
> minhb_at_hotmail.com

There's a .pdf guide on Oracle's site somewhere that you want. It's the "Oracle 8 Server Utilities Guide" (or something like that - the key words are "Server Utilities"). Download it - that's where all the SQL*Loader docs are.

But, for now, here's how you do it (if on a UNIX box on the server side - client-side (PC) is similar). We kick it off from a UNIX shell. A PC would be kicked off from a DOS prompt. Assume $ORACLE_HOME is defined and whatnot.

sqlldr userid=<user>/<password> control=<controlfilename>

Example:

sqlldr userid=scott/tiger control=myfile.ctl

If the control file isn't in the current directory, you can path it:

sqlldr userid=scott/tiger control=$ORACLE_HOME/datafiles/myfile.ctl

On a PC (client-server), use sqlldr73 or sqlldr80 (do a search on sqlldr*.exe to find the exact name of the executable that you want). Otherwise the rest is mostly the same in terms of the command-line arguments. There are also a zillion other command-line optional arguments you can do as well - get the .pdf file and check it out.

-Matt Received on Wed Jun 14 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message