Re: Frustrated SQL Plus user

From: Matt B. <mcb_at_fightspam.sd.znet.com>
Date: 2000/06/04

[Quoted] "dizzy" <dizzy73_at_connix.com> wrote in message news:393A6B94.200DCF99_at_connix.com...
> Im running personal Oracle 8.05 which apparently dosnt have sql worksheet
which Im accustomed to. I don't like the fact that the past commands are not saved in a buffer no use of the left arrow to modify a previous statement

I've never seen SQL*Plus do that (unless I've been missing something for 7 years...?).

>I think its insane to have to retype a command I previously typed while in a
session.

'ed' will put you into the default text editor (Notepad most likely on a Windows machine and vi on a UNIX machine) to modify your last statement.

[Quoted] You can save your previous statements as you do along by typing "save <filename>" or "save <filename> repl" (if overwriting an existing file. File will have a .sql appended onto it if you specify no extention.

[Quoted] Call it back up with "get <filename>" (and again the .sql will be assumed if you don't specify it) into the buffer or "start <filename>" to call it into the buffer and subsequently run it.

>"the semi colon is optional..." Well its either a semi colon or type run
after issuing the statement!

SQL> select 'x' from dual;

OR

SQL> select 'x' from dual

    2 ;

OR

SQL> select 'x' from dual

    2
SQL> / ...will all work.

-Matt Received on Sun Jun 04 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message