Re: Backup process for Oracle8 database on NT Server

From: <mike141_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/02

In article <392AAAAF.632A561_at_Unforgettable.com>,   Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com> wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> >
> > You need to buy an extra Oracle Agent for
 Arcserve, that will take care of
> > this.
> > AFAIK Arcserve doesn't have a command line
 interface, which is exactly what
> > you need in your proposal.
> > If you include start and stop .cmd files in
 your Arcserve config, it will do
> > a cold backup, otherwise it will do a hot
 backup automatically.

> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >

> I am having a hard time understanding where
 this "Oracle Agent" comes
> from. I have searched the Oracle web site and
 the closest thing I can
> find is called "Oracle Intelligent Agent" and
 to top it off there
> doesn't seem to be any logical connection
 between that product and
> backups - especially unattended backups.
>
> If there really is such a thing as Oracle Agent
 then why does Oracle
> make it so difficult to find out about what it
 is and how to use it?

HI,

The 'Oracle Agent' is available from Computer Associates (cai.com) and is only needed if you want to do a 'Hot Backup'. To do an unattended 'Cold Backup' you need to run pre & post backup scripts in Arcserve to close and open the DB. If you need any further hints on this then mail me as this is my 1st reply on deja and I'm not sure I could get back here again:-)

The problem I'm having is doing a *complete* restore of NT, Oracle and the DB's!

Mike.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 02 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message