Re: WebDB install problems

From: Jim Lewis <pojpl_at_ais.ucla.edu>
Date: 2000/05/25

Thank you David for sharing your pain! The ORACLE WebDB documentation is far from clear.

I haven't yet gone back to our Sun box to try installing WebDB again, but I have done 4 installs on our Red Hat box and through trial and error found a work-around for the SYS password / TNS alias problem. With luck my Red Hat work-around will be successful on the Sun too.

The nexus of the problem for me was the TNS_ADMIN env. variable. The WebDB install appeared to only want a tnsnames.ora file that was in the WebDB directory tree, NOT the tnsnames.ora file that is in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin path.

So, before the WebDB install I set the TNS_ADMIN env. variable to what WOULD BECOME the path to the tnsnames.ora file that would be placed in the $ORACLE_BASE/webdb_home/network/admin directory by the WebDB install process.

Then, when the WebDB install dialog asked for the SYS password and the TNS alias, I opened another command window and copied the tnsnames.ora file from the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory to the by now existing $ORACLE_BASE/webdb_home/network/admin directory.

I then went back to the WebDB install dialog and entered the SYS password and TNS alias. BINGO, it worked!

Note that the tnsnames.ora file in the WebDB directory tree is absolutely identical to the one in the base ORACLE directory tree. Even so, the WebDB install would apparently only make use of it if was in the WebDB directory tree.

Oh my. Anyway, however hare-brained this "solution" is, it works on Red Hat 6.1 + ORACLE 8.1.5 + WebDB 2.2.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Solaris.

Jim