Re: Unable to connect Builders to Oracle8 Database

From: <sanrenkur_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/24

In article <8gfblb$fom$1_at_nnrp2.deja.com>,   grongranger_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I am trying to self-teach Oracle with the
> intention of achieving Certification as an
> Application Developer (I have taken and passed
> the first test).
>
> I have installed Oracle8 Personal Edition and
> Developer 2000 R2.1 on a desktop (under Windows
> 98) and on a notebook (under Windows 98 SE).
> Both machines have 64MB RAM.
>
> Up until now, I have used SQL*PLUS exclusively
> with no problems. But, I just tried to connect
> to the Oracle8 database using Procedure Builder
> and Forms Builder to no avail. When I enter the
> user/password, I get the hourglass......forever
> (same thing on both machines). I end up having
> to end the task through task manager.
>
> I have been told that Developer 2000 should be
> used with Personal Oracle 7.3 rather than PO8.
> However, the Oracle8 Troubleshooting book from
> Oracle Press indicates that this combination is
> fine (although it states that I need 64MB RAM for
> the Personal/Developer combination alone -- I
> guess I need more still for Windows, etc). In
> any case, I thought that I would de-install
> everything, install Personal Oracle 7.3, and
> Developer 2000 R2.1. When I tried to uninstall
> the software, I immediately received the "program
> has performed an illegal operation" love note.
>
> I then tried just uninstalling parts of the
> software --- just Developer or just the Personal
> Oracle. Same results. Then I tried removing just
> one component and received "invalid page fault"
> messages.
>
> At this point, I am completely lost. Is this
> software permanently attached to my machines? Do
> I have to format my hard drive and start over?
> Will more RAM (say, another 128MB) help? Or are
> my problems deeper, since the
> Installer/Uninstaller seems to have lost its
> mind?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Hi
Have you set up your tnsnames file? Dev 2000 rel 2.1 will function with Oracle8. You need to have your listener running. Go to : www.oracle.com/support/oracleinstall/devtools/ There you will find white papers explaining how to connect. Hth
Sanrenkur

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message