Unable to connect Builders to Oracle8 Database

From: <grongranger_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/24

[Quoted] I am trying to self-teach Oracle with the intention of achieving Certification as an Application Developer (I have taken and passed the first test).

I have installed Oracle8 Personal Edition and Developer 2000 R2.1 on a desktop (under Windows 98) and on a notebook (under Windows 98 SE). Both machines have 64MB RAM.

Up until now, I have used SQL*PLUS exclusively with no problems. But, I just tried to connect to the Oracle8 database using Procedure Builder and Forms Builder to no avail. When I enter the user/password, I get the hourglass......forever (same thing on both machines). I end up having to end the task through task manager.

I have been told that Developer 2000 should be used with Personal Oracle 7.3 rather than PO8. However, the Oracle8 Troubleshooting book from Oracle Press indicates that this combination is fine (although it states that I need 64MB RAM for the Personal/Developer combination alone -- I guess I need more still for Windows, etc). In any case, I thought that I would de-install everything, install Personal Oracle 7.3, and Developer 2000 R2.1. When I tried to uninstall the software, I immediately received the "program has performed an illegal operation" love note.

I then tried just uninstalling parts of the software --- just Developer or just the Personal Oracle. Same results. Then I tried removing just one component and received "invalid page fault" messages.

At this point, I am completely lost. Is this software permanently attached to my machines? Do I have to format my hard drive and start over? Will more RAM (say, another 128MB) help? Or are my problems deeper, since the
Installer/Uninstaller seems to have lost its mind?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed May 24 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message