Oracle 8, Forms 3, again....

From: Martin Rapier <m.rapier_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: 2000/05/24

Having got through y2k etc we are now thinking about (finally) dumping Oracle 7.3 and moving to Oracle 8, big stumbling block of course being the 400+ Forms 3.0 modules including thousands of lines of user exits not written in-house, rendering an immediate conversion to Forms 6 somewhat unattractive.

I have been following the saga of the Forms 3.0/Oracle 8 rowid bug for some time, but wondered if there was a good site/forum or other resource that had a compendium of workarounds, problem summaries or whatever. I've had a good rummage around Metalink, but only come up with the helpful info that Forms 3 is unsupported.

There seems to be a view here that I can wave a magic wand, do something clever with database links (that somehow won't be incredibly slow, crash every time you query more than five records over them etc) and that Forms 3 (and Reportwriter 2.1, Menu 5 and RPT!) will soldier on happily into the 21st century running against Oracle 8i. If so, great, but if not, I need more info to make the case that this is going to a BIG project requiring major input of developer and/or contractor resources and not some 2 week fix.

TIA.
Martin.

--
Martin Rapier