Re: Looking for feedback on the Oracle 8.1.6's feature on CORBA Object

From: Roby Sherman <rxsherm_at_uswest.net>
Date: 2000/05/13

Anthony KRIZMANIC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It is possible to have Java CORBA object running in Oracle 8.1.6...
>
> I designed a three tiers model : exchange between the presentation tier
> and the applicative one is CORBA based ; exchange between the
> applicative tier and the data one (i.e. Oracle 8.1.6) is JDBC based. In
> this scheme, the applicative tier is of course outside the data tier.
> But, why do not use the Oracle 8.1.6's feature on CORBA Object to embed
> the applicative tier in the RDBMS ? Does it may improve performances ?

Security issues aside (where's your firewall, would moving this tier open up a security hole, etc.), the biggest thing that I would consider before moving the application tier into Oracle is whether or not the gain of having my objects do a semi-local database connect is more beneficial to me than the performance hit I'm going to take running under the 8.1.6 Java VM.

I've posted a benchmark (
http://www.interealm.com/roby/technotes/cvsjava.html ) that shows the Oracle JVM performance is only about 20% faster than running classes under a traditional JDK 117 environment and 50% *slower* than running the same class under a JDK 1.2 environment.

Now if you classes are doing very small units of work, this may not be a concern to you. But I would really stay away from the 8.1.6 JVM if you are doing medium-large amounts of computation, query processing, etc.

--Roby