Stored procedure and UNIX-shell scripts: not a good combination?

From: Patrick Smits <smits188_at_zonnet.nl>
Date: 2000/05/11

Hi,

[Quoted] I've experienced several times now that a stored procedure does not finish when started from a AIX UNIX shell-script  (UNIX shell-script starts sqlplus on UNIX, calling a stored as below:

sqlplus [userid]/[password]_at_[instance] <[...] 2>[...] exec [procedure]
exec [other procedure]
EOF or something in that line ).

By 'does not finish' I mean that when the first procedure jams, the second will not start nor is control returned to UNIX; the UNIX-script also jams. When I then kill the UNIX-script process-id, the Oracle user jams (our DBA has to kill the user or even perform a database shutdown).

However, the exact same UNIX-script works well most of the time. So, any ideas what happened? How to resolve this 'incidental jamming' once and for all?

Gr.,

Patrick. Received on Thu May 11 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message