Oracle client and ODBC installation for an ISAPI DLL

From: Ray Porter <ray_porter_at_unc.edu>
Date: 2000/05/10

Hi everyone,
When installing the Oracle client software on a machine that will host ISAPI applications using Oracle, do you have to accept the Oracle default directories during installation? The database is Oracle 8.1.5 running on an RS6000. The ISAPI DLL is on a Windows NT 4 (sp6a) machine with IIS 4.

I have several Sybase-based ISAPI applications running on this same server and we discovered that, at least with the version 12 Sybase drivers, you had to accept the default directories specified during the installation or the isapi application couldn't find OpenClient. I have a new Oracle/OE application running without any problems on a test NT server but when we installed it on the production server yesterday, the application appeared to just hang. Eventually the web server request would time out with no error message from the DLL. The only difference between the production machine and my test NT server is that the systems person installing the Oracle client on the production machine hanged the installation directories from the defaults while I accepted all the defaults on my test machine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated since this application is due to go live on May 18.

Thanks,

Ray Porter
Applications Analyst Programmer
Administrative Information Services, UNC-CH Phone: 966-5878
email: ray_porter_at_unc.edu

       dragon_at_email.unc.edu
Home Page: http://www.unc.edu/~dragon/

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup." Received on Wed May 10 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message