Re: Oracle exp file structure?

From: Girts Graudins <ggraudins_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/05/09

> I'm interested in writing a utility to parse an
> Oracle exp file and import it into another
> vendor's database (and vice versa).

From what I understand, that's exactly the kind of thing they (Oracle) want to prevent you from doing. The exp file is a proprietory binary format that they can change on you any time without warning.

So if I were to write a utility like that I'd have it go either through sqlplus or ODBC and write a script that would create the database objects and populate them. TOAD sort of does this - you can generate data scripts for tables (Database->Export->Table Scripts..) and other database objects.

Girts Graudins
Consulant
The Exeter Group, Inc.
ggraudins_at_hotmail.com
http://www.exetergroup.com/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue May 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message