Re: How do I use Oracle from a UNIX C++ program (Pro C, OCI, etc)?

From: Johan Wegener <xjw_at_xdde.xdk>
Date: 2000/04/26

[Quoted] Don <chambers_at_inquiregroup.com> skrev i en nyhedsmeddelelse:3908ad3a.84187304_at_news-east.newscene.com...
>I am writing a middle tier C++ program that will run on a UNIX system
>(HP-UX) and needs to connect to Oralce. Has anyone had success with
>this?

Yes!

>What is the best way to do it?

Check out the sample programs (typically in the $ORACLE_HOME/proc directory) and read the on-line manual is basically your only options if you do not have a guru at your hand...

>[...]
>They just tell me to look at a sample make file.
I don't know SoftBench either, I don't think one can expect Oracle support to be capable in each and every development tool. But if you know makefiles, you can probably mimic that in SoftBench...

>I am considering using the Orcle Call Interface (OCI) but have never
>used it.
In that case I would not recommend it, to use it you should IMO be well versed in Oracle-eze. And you will have to "face the makefiles" anyway to get your stuff to link properly...

>I can't seem to find many books or any classes for Pro*C or OCI.
The only book that exists is out of print...

>Does anyone have any suggestions?

As an exercise get one of the sample programs to pre-compile, compile, link and execute using SoftBench, then select the sample programs that resembles what you want to do mostly, cut and paste the logic and adapt that to you middle-tier program...

Cheers,
Johan Received on Wed Apr 26 2000 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message