Re: Forms 4.5 Problem (Record Locking)

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2000/04/23

pol15_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have encountered a problem in Oracle Forms 4.5 with regard to record
> locking.
>
> If I update a record using a Form developed in Forms 4.5, and I move on
> to another record without choosing the "Save" option (ie. post a commit
> to the database), then a
> default Oracle dialog appears saying ...
>
> "Do you wish to save the changes you have made?"
>
> If I answer "No" to this dialog box, then the record that was changed
> is not released for other users to update. It is still locked, as if a
> "rollback" has not beed executed. The reason I know the record remains
> locked is that, when I use the same Form in another session, a "Could
> not reserve record" dialog appears.
>
> The only way to release the record is to hit the "Save" button (ie.
> post a commit to the database) or for the user to quit the Form.
>
> Is this a bug?
>
> Surely the record should be released if the answer is "No" to the above
> dialog box.
>
> Does anyone know a way round this problem.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Pol
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

One option could be to switch the block to optimistic locking (as opposed to pessimistic). In this way, all the locks are only taken when you try to commit..Locking durations are thus far shorter but it is also possible that rows may have changed between original modification and commit request.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse