Re: Memory usage of Oracle client applications

From: Sebastien FLAESCH <sf_at_4js.com>
Date: 2000/04/19

Sybrand,

Yes, NT is not the right platform for 800 users, actually our customer uses IBM AIX.

Multitreaded servers share PGA area among mutliple client connections. This is one step.

But I would like my client application to use less memory too...

Is there any chance to decrease memory by changing the options of OCIEnvCreate() or OCIInitialize() ? When I try to remove the following options :

        OCI_THREADED | OCI_OBJECT
my OCI program fails.

Thanks!
Sebastien FLAESCH [sf_at_4js.com]
Four J's Development Tools [http://www.4js.com] Tel: +33(0)3-88-18-61-24 Fax: +33(0)3-88-18-61-21

  • Original Message ----- From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.tools Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 6:30 PM Subject: Re: Memory usage of Oracle client applications

> Configure the Multithreaded Server obviously! (where all
 client PGA moves to
> the SGA), and of course you shouldn't use NT with such a
 high number of
> users, NT simply can't deal with that.
> The memory figures you specify are quite trustworthy, ie:
 nothing has
> changed it has always been that way. Please note this
 includes shared memory
> too...
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> Sebastien FLAESCH <sf_at_4js.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 8dfelf$t2e$1_at_reader1.fr.uu.net...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Why do Oracle client applications ( OCI programs,
 SQL*Plus,
> > ...)
> > take that much memory ?
> >
> > For example, on NT, an Oracle 8.1.5 client application
 takes
> > 8Mb
> > and with 8.1.6 it takes 6Mb... We have the same problem
 on
> > Unix
> > platforms, with 4-5 Mb per program...
> >
> > How can one deploy an application where over 800 users
 run