Re: Tuning Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:59:15 +0200

Did you ever change your init.ora parameters? The default init.ora parameters that come with the software haven't been changed in 10 years or so, and they are laughable. Start determining db_block_buffers, if that's still 200, increase it by a factor 10 at least.
One particular problem you could be having in your database, because of the long raw, is chained rows. You should also start to determine whether you have chaining. If you run utlbstat and utlestat you will get the hitrate of your instance, and it will also list the number of chained retrieval requests. Individual tables need to be analyzed, the column chain_cnt in user_tables will tell you how many rows are chained. Depending on the severity of this issue you may consider to recreate your database with a larger blocksize.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

<pendell_at_hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 8d4r11$lqi$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...