Re: WEBDB wants SYS password and TNS alias

From: Jim Lewis <pojpl_at_ais.ucla.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:20:28 GMT

Kari Pannila <Xkartsa_at_ougf.fi> wrote:

>Jim Lewis wrote:
>>
>> In either case the WebDB install coughs up the "either invalid SYS
>> password or invalid TNS alias" error. By the way, I am sure I'm
>> typing in the correct SYS password. I've been very careful about
>> that.
>>

>Hi

>Try again after you have defined unix variable TNS_ADMIN to point
>to the directory where tnsnames.ora is.

>For instance: TNS_ADMIN=/usr/oracle/8.5/network/admin

>regards Kari

>--
> (Mr.) Kari Pannila
> Oracle DBA (OCP)
> Xkartsa_at_ougf.fi

I have verified the setting for TNS_ADMIN Kari. It's pointing to the directory where tnsnames.ora is. Still cannot get past the error. Can you tell me please just what a TNS "alias" is? Is it what is called the "net_service_name" in the NET8 Admin Guide desciption of the tnsnames.ora file entry? My tnsnames.ora file, which is otherwise working fine, only contained one such entry. Adding another didn't get be past the error either.     Received on Thu Apr 13 2000 - 19:20:28 CEST

Original text of this message