Re: SYSDBA

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:26:10 +0200

[Quoted] On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:38:42 GMT, sboucher_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>I am working through some oracle tutorials which require to log on as
>SYSDBA. I am using oracle8.1.5 and have only the standard install
>users: System, Internal, SYS
>
>When I try to connect as SYSDBA with the system/manager account I get
>insufficient priveleges. I checked the roles granted using OEM and DBA
>was one of them. Here is my connect string:
>
>connect system/manager_at_oratest as sysdba
>
>What do I need to do??
>
>Scott
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Didn't you ask this question yesterday, and didn't I answer this? Probably you didn't understand it, I would like to have known that.

DBA and SYSDBA are _not_ the same. One of the things a DBA can't do and a SYSDBA can is create a new database, also a DBA shouldn't be able to shut a database down.
Let's rephrase my original reply.

There are several methods of having SYSDBA (and SYSOPER for that matter)
1 only internal has SYSDBA (and SYSOPER) privilege. This requires the init<sid>.ora parameter remote_login_password_file (always forget the exact location of underscores) to be NONE. This is the default behavior.
2 Internal and SYS have SYSDBA privilege. The aforementioned parameter should be SHARED, and the SYS password equals the internal password 3 Any user (including SYSTEM) can have SYSDBA privilege, the number of users limited by the passwordfile. The aforementioned parameter needs to be EXCLUSIVE.

In your scenario the parameter needs to be set to exclusive, bounce the database, and as SYS you need to GRANT SYSDBA to SYSTEM.

Please respond if you have any difficulty.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Apr 12 2000 - 17:26:10 CEST

Original text of this message