Re: OAS performance questions

From: Joseph Babad <joseph_babad_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:34:55 GMT

[Quoted] Thanks for the reply...

Can I see if I've got this right?
You're using perl to generate HTML, but calling PL/SQL procedures from within the perl. Have I got this right? Are you doing this across different "cartridges"?

[Quoted] I was thinking along the lines of using things like htp functions TOGETHER with SQL queries in a procedure - so that you have both the content and SQL together. Hence my question about pushing the HTML-generation into the database.
We're looking to solve the problem of having a lot of SIMILAR pages with embedded sql and we want to a) reduce the amount of new coding to a minimum; and b) allow non-experts to write the HTML.( so heavy perl scripting

   is out)

This was why the PL/SQL stored procedures seemed ideal.

Cheers,
Joseph.

In article <Fsn8q9.Lsu_at_west.nl>,
  marco_at_West.NL (Marco Nijdam) wrote:
> Joseph Babad <joseph_babad_at_my-deja.com> writes:
> > Are you/anyone using OAS to invoke stored PL/SQL procedures in
> > the database that generate HTML and run queries?
> > We're looking at doing this with the PL/SQL Web toolkit.
> > I'm worried about moving this into the DB - since this way the logic
> > (to generate the HTML) is being run on the database engine
> > rather than on the middle tier.
> >
> > Any thoughts/suggestions/experiences?
>
> We've used the PL/SQL Web toolkit for a Web site (database
> publishing mainly). Speed is acceptable (main problem is tuning
> the queries, the PL/SQL is not a problem).
> Some things to watch out for:
>
> - separate HTML (page layout) from PL/SQL (logic).
> We're using some conventions and perl scripts
> (that convert HTML files with some placeholders to
> PL/SQL procedures) to accomplish this.
>
> - PL/SQL has no session context. This prevents smart
> application level caching. Oracle will do its best
> to cache data, but when you know your Web application
> you can often do much better.
> If you expect application-level caching can significantly
> improve your systems performance, don't choose PL/SQL.
>
> PS: I think I read WebDB 3 will support sessions.
> Since WebDB uses PL/SQL below it, I wonder if this means
> PL/SQL will support sessions.
>
> - PL/SQL in the database server is efficient in bandwidth.
> That is, if your PL/SQL does a lot of database activity,
> and not much computing, and returns only a little bit
> of the processed information, PL/SQL is good for you.
>
> If you retrieve only a little bit of infomation from
> the database, and do a lot of other processing, it may
> be better to put it in a separate tier, and use another
> programming language.
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> -- Marco Nijdam, marco_at_west.nl
> -- West Consulting bv, Bagijnhof 80, 2611 AR Delft, The Netherlands
> -- P.O. Box 3318, 2601 DH Delft
> -- Tel: +31 15 219 1600, Fax: +31 15 214 7889

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Apr 11 2000 - 12:34:55 CEST

Original text of this message