8i on Solaris

From: ttrivedi <ttrivedi_at_deja.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:55:18 -0500

QUESTION:
My site has an Oracle 8i server (E450, Solaris 2.6, 512m memory, 1g swap)
with a database under 1g in size that's the backend for a Remedy installation.

Question is...the kernel parameters on this system look a little crazy to
me, specifically:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=671088640
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=2000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=125
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=4000
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=1400
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=2000

My reading of Oracle's recommendations suggest the settings should be:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=268435456
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set shmsys:seminfo_semmsl=110
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=210
set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

The settings were configured by a DBA here who apparently used to work for
Oracle so others have been loathe to change them. I've pointed a couple people on this project at the Oracle recommendations, but wanted to check
this with a few other DBAs to get a group opinion. Any thoughts out there
in DBA land? :-) If nothing else, I thought we should get that shmmax down below the amount of physical memory on the system.

TIA...

                         Tapan H Trivedi