Redhat Oracle 8i installation.

From: Christopher Briggs <hpuxadm_at_choice.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:16:25 -0400

[Quoted] Hey all,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I was hoping someone out there could give me a little assistance. I have been trying to do an install of Oracle 8i off and on for a few days now with no success. Basically, I believe everything has been set up correctly, but I keep second guessing myself in terms of a step or two that I may have missed. In any case, here are my symptoms.

After logging on as oracle, I proceed to bring up 'X' and cd over to the /cdrom directory. After running the specified runInstaller.sh script, it says that it is initializing the Java VM and to 'please wait'. After about 10 seconds, I get a very brief display of a GUI/pop-up window(only stays up for around a half a second), and then it disappears. After that, I get nothing..

Here are some of the things that I have done in preparation for the install.

Upgraded the JRE to 1.1.6v5 as Oracle specified. Added the Oracle user and DBA group.
Changed the necessary kernel parameters, recompiled, rebooted.

Can anyone give me any direction here?

Thanks in advance,

Christopher Briggs
hpuxadm_at_choice.net
root_at_unixadministrator.com Received on Fri Apr 07 2000 - 22:16:25 CEST

Original text of this message