Re: Unique Check for Forms 6 Data Block

From: Neville Sweet <sweet.neville.nj_at_bhp.com.au.no_junk_email>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:46:11 +1000

Hi William,

It is not possible to issue a select against the data block, although you can effectively make forms do it for you, by setting Primary Key = TRUE on the item or items that make a record unique. This will give "Record has already been inserted" when the user tries to move off the record, by comparing it to the other displayed records. If the user can enter their own query, or it is otherwise possible that the duplicate is not displayed on the screen, you will also need to compare it to existing rows in the database, as suggested by another posting. This is the simplest solution, but there are also some potential problems that tend to confuse users. For example, if the user deletes a record but does not commit, and then attempts to insert a record with the same unique key as the deleted record, the database check against existing rows will tell them it already exists.

There is a more accurate method involving the 'Post' built-in, but this introduces greater program complexity.