Re: dbassist - Linux 8.1.5

From: Craig Kelley <ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu>
Date: 06 Apr 2000 22:43:55 -0600

Bill Geddes <geddes_at_col.hp.com> writes:

> Forgive my ignorance - I am new to the world of Oracle. I've
> just installed Oracle 8.1.5 on my Linux server, and have been
> scouring all the HTML docs on the Oracle CD to try to understand
> how to do the basics:
>
> 1. create a database
> 2. start a database
> 3. destroy a database
> 4. repeat 1,2, and 3 as needed for needed testing.
>
> There is a tool called 'dbassist' shipped with 8.1.5 - It's a
> Java GUI that steps you through "building" a new database.
> Unfortunately, when I used this tool, it took more than 2 hours
> to build a database! Seems extremely unreasonable. Also, this
> process sucks up more than 700 MB of memory!!! And leaves
> processes running that I do not think are needed to run a
> database.

[Quoted] Did you apply the patch to update to 8.1.5.0.2? dbassist has many bugs in it with the default version. netassist is worse, and I wouldn't even use it.

When oracle creates a database, it literally creates it from scratch -- including all the system tables and stored procedures to the online help files. It took about an hour on my dual PII/266 with half a gig of RAM, and all tablespaces on different devices.

Craig Kelley  -- kellcrai_at_isu.edu
http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger ink_at_inconnu.isu.edu for PGP block