Re: Oracle Instances

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:03:44 +0200

Sambavan Tharmarajah <sambavan_at_cs.utexas.edu> wrote in message news:Pine.LNX.4.21.0004061247140.6108-100000_at_rattlesnake.cs.utexas.edu...
> Is there some one who could tell me what is the max number of instances
> one could create with oracle V8.0.5. What is the advantages and
> dis-advantages of having many instances. Does it effect the performance?
>
> Where can I look for such informations? Is there any web sites that has
> good DBA related informations?
>
> Sam .T

> What I do today is important because
> I'm exchanging a day of my life for it

1 There is no maximum, other than the resources on the server 2 Advantage: complete separation of (various stages) of applications

   Disadvantages: harder to manage, difficult to keep in sync, need to build generic shell scripts yourself in order to keep it manageable. 3 Of course it affects the performance. Two instances will consume much more memory than one, most likely if the application is not too heavily used, most of the time these instances will be underutilized, and you will simply move the problem to the O/S level, which will be forced to perform more pagefaulting.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Apr 06 2000 - 20:03:44 CEST

Original text of this message