Re: OAS performance questions

From: Girts Graudins <ggraudins_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 05:10:06 GMT

> how they've
> found OAS performs. We're looking to use version 4.0.8.1 - on
> fairly high-end HP servers (K-class) with an 8i database behind.

Most people will agree that OAS is more stable on UNIX (particularly Solaris, the platform on which it's developed).

Be prepared for lots of caveats (undocumented "known" bugs, endless stream of patches, upgrades). Be prepared to *read release notes first* - almost every day somebody posts a question to this newsgroup that is answered in the readmes or release notes. In general OAS is definitely not a plug-and-play application - you'll have to tinker with it all the time.

Performance-wise, it *is* fast, and it *is* scalable, as long as you drown it in RAM (especially if you want to run the database and OAS on the same machine).

Those would be my experiences. Specifically, I'm running OAS 4.0.8.1 on NT 4.0, SP 5. I'm sure other people will have had other impressions, and I'd like to hear them, too.

Girts Graudins
Consulant
The Exeter Group, Inc.
ggraudins_at_hotmail.com
http://www.exetergroup.com/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Apr 05 2000 - 07:10:06 CEST

Original text of this message