Re: Forms (joining tables)

From: Denny Dutcavich <dut_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 20:52:40 -0400

The way tables are joined has much to do with the business rules or data relationships. If you have a customer table with relationships to internal customer contacts (people in billing) and external customer contacts (the people in purchasing of the customer) then you would have three tables, customer, internal_contacts and customerl_contacts. You would join the two "contacts" tables to the customer table with PKs and FKs. In forms, this is three data blocks with master-detail relationships between customer and external_contacts then customer and internal contacts. This should produce two frames.

Now, if you are a car dealer, you have a car inventory and cars have features. You could create an invoice table that joins to a car vin (the mechanics in forms is the same as above). Now, you would need to create a table with car features and feature codes. You would need to join the car table to the features table (again the mechanics are the same as above).

Read some material on Object Oriented design, this is the same concept for designing tables and their relationships. Hope this helps...