Re: Pro*C/C++ compiler support for ANSI C++?

From: Jim Cain <xxxmexxx_at_jimcain.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 04:57:47 GMT

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Devesh Mistry wrote:

> Hi anyone:
> I am trying to get some information that whether Oracle "proc" compiler
> supports the ANSI C++ (standard c++)?
>
> I have programs that compile & run under Oracle 8.1.5 (solaris) & CC
> 4.2. But we have now switched over to the CC 5.0 which supports the
> standard c++. And the oracle pre-processor just hangs taking up almost
> 90% of system resources.
>
> If anyone knows how to get around this problem or knows any later
> version of Oracle supporting standard C++ or any article, please let me
> know.

I've had this same problem. You might notice as well that the memory on the Pro*C process grows and grows. I had it over 200 MB at one point. What I did to fix this was to make sure proc didn't read the standard include files. (Check out the ORA_PROC macro, or the parse option.)

Another symptom of the switch from 4.2 to 5.0 is that compiling takes *MUCH* longer.

I put all this together and suspect that there's an infinite loop somewhere in the include files in 5.0. The CC compiler is smart enough to eventually detect this and break out of it, but proc isn't. Just a guess.

Cheers,
Jim

| Jim Cain          | http://www.jimcain.net  | Oracle Developer/DBA       |
| Miami, FL USA     | http://www.mgmt-inc.com | Linux System Administrator |