Re: Oracle Developer with 8i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:54:41 +0200

<jehall_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8c0716$dp5$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <954437629.8352.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> >
> > <jehall_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. My DBA was trying to install Oracle Developer 6.0 with the
> ORACLE
> > > 8i database. He told me that you can not install them on the same
> home,
> > > that they are incompatible? Is there a patch we need, or what else
> can
> > > we do to solve this installation problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Jason.
> > >

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> >
> > This is not an installation problem, it is a policy change. The new
> policy
> > states every Oracle product will get installed in its own Oracle_home,
> with
> > few exceptions.
> > BTW: Developer still uses sqlnet 2, you'll need to copy your net8
> > tnsnames.ora to the appropiate sqlnet 2 directory, usually
> > %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin.
> >
> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >

> We were trying to install everything on the same machine. WEBDB,
> Developer 6.0/Developer Server and the machine had 8i already installed
> on it. I guess we will have to use seperate machines?

> Jason.
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Not necessarily, other than the server will not be able to cope with the load.
[Quoted] Different Oracle Homes is different directories only, there's absolutely no [Quoted] reason why it wouldn't work provided the server is fat enough.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 20:54:41 CEST

Original text of this message