Is there anybody who knows how to work with NCHAR and NVARCHAR2?

From: Dennis Virt <denvirt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:21:31 +0400

The problem is as follows - I have a database which has tables with both NCHAR and NVARCHAR2 fields. It is for application that has to support multiple languages. Client is in Java and uses thin jdbc driver. Making it speak it different tongues was fun. I had to construct insert and update statements to put N modifier for fields which are NVARCHAR2. Buf, It was OK. Now I plan on going 3-tier and tried Oracle's JBO. No matter what driver I use (thin or OCI8) I can't make the library update or insert rows with NCHAR and NVARCHAR2 columns. I used the most recent drivers (even tried one for Oracle 8.1.6 with NLS character sets attached, though am using Oracle 8.1.5 server) - no luck.
Further on I downloaded the Oracle ODBC driver (8.1.5.3 - I believe), hoping to use Sun's JDBC-ODBC bridge. I tried to link tables to Access database (previous version of ODBC driver shiped with Oracle 8.1.5 even could not open them) and succeeded in opening table, but when I tried to update a record I got an error.
The questions are:
1) does anybody know of an RAD framework that allows to work with tables that have Oracle's nchar and nvarchar2 columns? 2) Is there any way to use Oracle's JBO with such tables without manually amending Entity classes?
I can't believe the answer to the 2nd question is NO, so I am getting something wrong. I just can't find out what. Any comment is welcome. BTW when I retrieved column types using JDBC drivers in all cases I was getting response of VARCHAR2. How can I make Oracle's JDBC driver more aware of underlying data types?

Dennis. Received on Thu Mar 30 2000 - 16:21:31 CEST

Original text of this message