Re: Problem with sqlplus - oracle 8.1.5 under Linux

From: <edavison_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:18:27 GMT

I had the same trouble as well.

The official answer depends on your Distribution. If you are running RedHat 6.1, SuSE or TurboLinux 1.0, then you should not have any trouble with this and you should even be able to get help from Oracle.

In my case, I am running Debian 2.2 and this is not a certified distro, so they refused to help me. Their answer was to install RH 6.1 and then 8i and all should be well in the world.

The real answer to this is that the shared library that is built when the database was install is missing some libraries and thus the missing symbol.

What was recommended by Juan Alvarez Ferrando in another message on Deja was to use a modified version of the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/genclntsh script and change the line

LCLIENT="-lclient8"

LCLIENT="-lclient8 -lnoss8 -lnoname8 -lnsslb8 -lntcp8 -lntcps8 -lnbeq8 -lnus8 -lntns8 -lnhost8"

(The above is actually, and has to be, one line)

Juan actually included the entirety of the script but this line is the only difference between the Oracle version and his. I have done this and my sqlplus now works just fine.

You need to realize that this is unsupported by Oracle so they are not likely to assist you after this point if something goes wrong.

Hope this helps,
Ed Davison

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Mar 24 2000 - 20:18:27 CET

Original text of this message