Re: Unicode general questions

From: Jim Gregory <JG200024_at_NCR.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:22:21 -0500

Be aware when creating tables/fields that char and varchar2 fields are defined in bytes, not characters. If the Unicode encoding value ( variable from 1 to 3 bytes per character/ideograph ) needs 3 bytes per, a varchar2(12) is only big enough to store 4 characters not 12 and a 2 byte character could only stuff 6 characters into a 12 byte field. Just make sure that your field defs have enough bytes in them to store the maximum number of characters needed.

--
Jim Gregory
Principal Consultant for Keane, Inc.