Forms/SQLNet

From: Mike Wilde <sounds_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 23:46:12 -0000

I have a configuration/version problem that I hope somone can help with.

I currently have a VMS server running VMS 6.2 and Oracle 7.1 (don't laugh). For support reasons I need to upgrade to VMS 7.1 and Oracle 7.3.

However there is 1 major problem in that the front end is written in an old non gui version of forms and is not possible to upgrade at the moment.

To get around this I am going to have 2 VMS boxes in the cluster, the first running VMS 7.1 and the database at 7.3, the second running VMS 6.2 and the old version of Forms running the front end. I will want users to log onto the Forms server and then have SQL*Net connect to the upgraded server.

One way to achieve this that has been suggested to me is to have a file created at login time which is then picked up by a background process on the Oracle server box which changes the Oracle password to be the process pid of the logging in process, then Forms can connect to the database using this password.

I have tested this and it does work but it isn't ideal for security reasons and because it slows the logging in process down. Does anyone have any better ideas or ways of acheiving the database connection per user login?

Also at the moment I am using SQL*Net 2.1, is 2.3 compatible with the above configuration?

Thanks,

Mike Received on Thu Mar 23 2000 - 00:46:12 CET

Original text of this message