Re: Sequence

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:54:15 +0800

Rook wrote:

> I am working with Personal Oracle 8 on a win95 platform. My problem is, I have
> a simple sequence which is part of a procedure.
>
> create sequence addid_sequence
> begin with 1
> increment by 1;
>
> When I execute the procedure, the first id value is 2. The next to id values
> increment by 2 and finally, the last two executions result in values that
> increment by 4. Any ideas on what causes this and how can I fix this problem?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Your sequence numbers are probably being cached and possibly unloaded from memory (aged out) and thus the cached ones are not used.

Unless you absolutely must have consecutive numbers I wouldn't worry about it - sequences are designed for a unique numbers not necessarily a monotonically increasing set.

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk

We are born naked, wet and hungry...then things get worse