Re: Installing WEBDB Problems.

From: IDEDWARDS <idedwards_at_aol.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2000 12:07:44 GMT

I was having the same problem on Linux v6.1, running an 8.1.5 database and trying to install both WebDB 2.1 and 2.2. I went to 2.2 because I wasn't getting anywhere with 2.1. I also tried the manual install but couldn't get the home page to come up. However, after trying many hours of installations, debugging and searching the Oracle technet forums I managed to get it to install this week.

In the case of Linux there is a bug with the 8.1.5 database that prevents WebDB being able to connect to the 8i database (which uses 8.0.5 listeners and things). I downloaded a patch (81501) from the Oracle metalink website.

What I can also suggest , is to install WebDB into its own linux account. You'll need to set ORACLE_HOME to the database that you are going to install WebDB into, and set TNS_ADMIN to the tnsnames.ora file in your ORACLE_HOME (TNS_ADMIN=$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin etc)

Also, when it comes to the point where you need to enter the sys password, copy your tnsnames.ora file to the WEBDB/network/admin directory. It seems that WebDB runs its own sqlplus executable and sqlldr during the install of the PL/SQL Web toolkit. The program that is responsible for running this part of the install is owa40.vrf (or similar) and is found in the orainst/owa directory. It logs onto sqlplus and produces a file pass.sys. If it can't find that file it comes up with various error messages including the one you described.

In my case it could never find the pass.sys file or the names of the scripts being passed to sqlplus, and what complain about files not being found. I also had the errors you described.

I hope some of this helps.

Ed Received on Sat Mar 18 2000 - 13:07:44 CET

Original text of this message