SQL Net 7.3.4 -> SQL Net 8 Peroformance Issue

From: Jeff Frantzen <Frant000_at_mail.genmills.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:40:22 GMT

I have a 97 Access app that uses SQL Net and Oracle ODBC drivers to connect to our Oracle 7.3.4 DB.

The application had great performance prior to upgrading the client to 8 SQL net Files and the Oracle 8 Driver. I upgraded to SQL Net 8 and the 8 driver due to ORATRACE73.dll crashing when client resources were low, and we made OLEDB / OCI calls.

I've found that attaching tables is now very slow ( 10 seconds a table, vs. 1 second). Queries are also slower (as much as 5 times). I've played with the Fetch Count number of my DSN and that does not seem to help.

I've run SQL Trace, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. I've also tried the Microsoft Drivers which are faster however they treat some of our NUMBER fields as Text fields when attached, so we would have to rewrite some code.

Is anyone else running SQL Net 8 against a 7.3.4 DB? Does anyone know of any performance tweaks to try on the client or server?

thanks in advance.

jeff

--
DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official statement from, nor
does it represent an official position of General Mills. The sender of