Re: Moving into Oracle Developer 2000

From: Kevin A Lewis <Kevin_A_Lewis_at_Hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:22:46 GMT

The classic problem! Typified by an advert I saw a few years ago for experience of 2 years required for a technology that had been out only just over a year.

You could try certification as the other poster suggests however my understanding of the IT job market is that to get into a technology you need to find a company willing to take a chance. There are still some out there. My understanding is also that most look at certification as a rubber stamp to the required experience rather than an alternative to it.

You should perhaps try and network with as many people in the industry that you ever had any contact with and pull in as many favours as you might have earnt. Get others working on your behalf. Some will know what you can do because you worked with or for them, and maybe have a friend or colleage with connections to Oracle with advise, help or even a job.

You could try getting hold of some tools and a copy of Personal Oracle and develop a demo system. This would be good practice and you could claim a certain type of actual experience. This could be offered for potential employers to view as an artist would offer his/her portfolio. Clearly state on your then revised CV the type of experience this adds and you can empasize the self motivated and task eating individual they could hire. All you would need to add when joining them would be the blend of commercial and Oracle experience; half of which you already have plenty of.

Bottom line is don't be discouraged - go for it!

All the best

--
Kevin A Lewis (BOCM PAULS LTD) - Animal Feed Manufacturer - Ipswich United
Kingdom)

The views expressed herein by the author of this document
are not necessarily those of BOCM PAULS Ltd.