Re: Development tools for accesing Oracle

From: Phil <jsneth_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 17:35:06 GMT

VB is, in my opinion, a much better product on PeeCees. It is more reliable, and feature rich. Doing Forms & Reports in VB requires writing some code though - and it is a PeeCee-only solution.

Developer provides some native database support that is time-consuming to write in visual basic. As the Developer tools' names suggest (Forms & Reports), Developer is great at writing simple Forms and Reports. Simple reports.

It is when you want to do more complicated things that the products overlap. Developer gives you a lot to get started, but it limits what you can do. VB takes a while to get started, but only your imagination limits you.

For a plain-vanilla Oracle software-developer writing forms and reports, Developer is best. If you are more into writing tools and doing unusual things that just happen to use Oracle I'd go with VB (and do).