Oracle Licensing Question

From: JK <jkp_at_REMOVEIT.texoma.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 19:34:56 -0600

I'd really appreciate it if someone can clarify some of Oracle's licensing to me.

Does named user license mean that I have to specify the actual name of the person accessing the database to Oracle? While purchasing? People working at our company change very frequently and I'm not sure I want to get into this type of agreement if that's the case.

Also, most of the connections to the database at my company are from software that are automated (getting data from one place, inserting it into database, moving it, querying to create reports etc.). How do I figure out licenses for these? And please don't say "power unit". We'll have to migrate to a different database from Oracle If that's the only way! Can't afford it. I can buy a Sun Enterprise 4500 with 6 400 MHz CPUs for a little over $100K but I'll have to pay Oracle $360K for the database! Not counting any options!

Thanks much
JK Received on Wed Mar 08 2000 - 02:34:56 CET

Original text of this message