Re: Can ORACLE be embedded

From: DriftWood <drift_wood_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 19:30:12 GMT

This is a lot of stuff to cover in a single posting, in general:

>Which version of Oracle database we should be using?
>It is going to be a single user ( which is our middle tier) based.
>Does Personal Orcale suffice?

The real question is will the RDBMS and the middle-tier tlking to it both reside on the same machine? If so you could probably use Personal Oracle -- not sure how that sits from a Licensing standpoint. If it is making a remote connection to the database then Personal Oracle is the wrong choice.

>When we create a database with Personal Oracle how many files
>are created?

Well, you SHOULD create multiples of certain files (such as the control files), but you will have at least one control file and as many datafiles as you need for the tablespaces you will use (SYSTEM will have one and USERDATA by default). Since this is really dependant on how you create the RDBMS, there is no hard and fast number. A typical small RDBMS might have a dozen or so files. This doesn't count any archive logs that could be created (just the control files, data files and redo logs and INIT files).

Oracle Lite is much simpler as it uses a single ODB file (although it does open other temporary files at runtime, you needn't worry about creating or maintaining them), but then again Oracle Lite doesn't have the features or industrial strength that Oracle 8i does (either Personal or Enterprise edition).

>What is the difference between the designer and developer?
Desiginer is a CASE tool and Developer is an Application Developement Tool. Designer can generate Developer code (as well as others)...

--
-cheers
  DW

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/