Re: Oracle export to ASCII file?

From: Brian W. Chester <bwchester_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 13:31:53 GMT

Frank,

There are several ways you can achieve this.

The first is to run the version 7 catalogue scripts against the 8 database. You will then be able to export to our version 7.

Another way is the have the two machines on the same network and do a CREATE TABLE AS SELECT on the version 7 from the version 8.

Another is to spool the results of a query to file then import the file. All these methods have been well documented on this newsgroup and on the comp.database.oracler.server newsgroup.

The important things to watch for when moving from the newer versions to older versions is not all datatypes are a like. For instance Varchar2 in version 7 can only hold 2000 characters while is can hold 4000 in version 8. You will have to verify that your version 8 tables are not using any datatype which is different than the version 7.3 datatypes. If they are, you will have to first convert them to 7.3 datatypes.

HTH Brian